PLEASE NOTE: This item has a planned release date of August 19, 2019 and is only available for PRE-ORDER at this time.
Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
1. Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
2. Release dates are subject to change. All dates are estimates and subject to manufacturer revisions beyond our control.
3. Order modifications. Orders can be canceled and items removed upon request. We are unable to add additional items to pending orders.
4. Payment details. Credit cards are pre-authorized but not captured until we ship the order. Check or PayPal payments are required at time of order.
Quartet Records and Paramount Pictures present the expanded, remastered edition of the iconic score by Philippe Sarde (GHOST STORY, LORD OF THE FLIES, PIRATES, CÉSAR ET ROSALIE) for a Roman Polanski horror tale THE TENANT. Based on the popular novel LE LOCATAIRE CHIMERIQUE by Roland Topor, the film was directed by Polanski, who also co-wrote the screenplay with his usual partner, Gérad Brach. It co-stars Isabelle Adjani, Melvyn Douglas, Shelley Winters and Jo Van Fleet. Although the film was given a cold reception at the Cannes Film Festival in 1976, over the years it has become a cult film, and one of the most valued in the career of the famous and controversial Polish director. THE TENANT was also Polanski’s third production with Paramount after the classics ROSEMARY’S BABY and CHINATOWN.
One of the most important aspects of THE TENANT is that it was the first collaboration between Polanski and composer Philippe Sarde—who was only 28 years old when he composed the score. The music featured a complicated orchestration that required an unusual arrangement of the orchestra. The use of crystal harmonica gives the score a disturbing and bleak character.
Although the music was acclaimed and long desired by collectors around the world, it was necessary to wait until 2000 to have the score released by Universal Music France as part of its collection Ecoutez le cinema!, where it was paired with Tess, the second and brilliant collaboration between Sarde and Polanski. Now, thanks to the discovery of the original multi-track elements in the Paramount vaults, with access to the complete recording sessions at CTS, London, under the baton of Carlo Savina, the score of THE TENANT can be released in its entirety, including tracks not used in the final edit of the film, alternates, as well as the album-specific montages prepared by the composer for an MCA album that never materialized.
This CD has been produced by Neil S. Bulk, remixed by Michael McDonald at Private Island Sound, and mastered by Doug Schwartz, with additional restoration by Chris Malone, and approved by the composer. The package includes a 16-page full-color booklet with detailed liner notes by Stéphane Lerouge. -QUARTET RECORDS
1. Main Title (2:20)
2. The Church (1:11)
3. The Tooth (2:15)
4. Delirium (Film Version) (3:08)
5. Empty Window (0:25)
6. The Bouncing Ball (1:53)
7. They’re After Him (0:42)
8. To Stella (0:53)
9. Solitude (1:20)
10. Running Away (1:07)
11. Hotel Room (0:37)
12. The Tenant (1:04)
13. They Tried To Kill Me (3:07)
14. The Audience Is Ready (1:51)
15. I’ll Show You Blood (1:37)
16. The Final Scream (1:10)
17. Epsilon (0:42)
18. Letter (0:32)
19. Cigarettes (0:21)
20. Epsilon (Alternate Mix) (0:42)
21. The Park (1:14)
22. Dance At Robert’s (3:08)
23. L’appel du verre (2:27)
24. Apparitions (3:43)
25. Conspiration (3:41)
26. En souvenir de Madame Choule (1:33)
27. Final (2:27)